Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Review: Preservation by Rachael Wade


 I started reading this book after I bought the sequel when it was on sale. It's been out for a while but I waited for the sequel to come out so I could read them together. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure I want to continue with the series.


I've read novels dealing with student/teacher relationships, but this was one of the least believable I've read. The story is about a college student/ aspiring writer named Kate who has had to put off school for years as she struggled to stay financially afloat. She meets her young, handsome professor named Ryan Campbell, who -at the start of the story - we learn has been cruelly dumped by his fiancee on the same day he's supposed to meet with a book publisher. Romancing his students is a familiar concept to Ryan, who has dealt with his betrayal by bedding every attractive female in sight. Kate is his latest conquest turned muse who attempts to build a lasting connection with the man she can't stay away from. 

While the premise is promising, if somewhat unbelievable, the delivery leaves much to be desired. For starters, the relationship between Ryan and Kate is underdeveloped. We learn that Ryan has insecurities because of his failed relationship and Kate has trust issues and is unwilling to open up, yet they carry on for months without issue. Student/teacher relations are merely frowned upon? It seemed like there was a lack of consequences for these two, who seem to do whatever they please just because they can.

Kate, in particular, bugged me. She has two male best friends who openly admit to being in love with her and she's simply okay with them being around all the time, lending her shoulders to cry on when her romance is on the rocks. I just don't buy two handsome college guys hanging around some girl, content to be friends and being so understanding that she doesn't feel the same way. 
 
Also, the love scenes were a bit of a letdown. I'm not saying you need romantic encounters every few pages but the sporadic input of sex scenes seemed like an afterthought. There was no excitement, which was disappointing since Ryan is apparently known for his sexual prowess.


***Spoiler alert***

The "twist" at the end, where Ryan screw over Kate with the publishing deal had me fuming. I can't believe he had the nerve to say he had feelings for her then turn around and completely treat her like crap. I momentarily applauded Kate for moving across the world to start a new chapter with her life, but then the second she gets there, Ryan comes after her with a pathetic apology and she jumps back into his arms. No groveling. No making him work for it. Nothing. 

 ***************

The more I reflect on the story, the more upset I get. After reading the blurb for the second novel, I have a feeling it's about to get worse. I think I'm going to have to call it quits with this one. 

Rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment