Sunday, March 16, 2014

Searching For Beautiful by Nyrae Dawn: Guest Review

Blurb:

Before, Brynn had a group of best friends, a loving boyfriend, a growing talent for pottery. She had a life. And after…she had none.

When Brynn lost the boyfriend who never loved her, the friends who feel she betrayed their trust, and the new life just beginning to grow inside her, she believes her future is as empty as her body. But then Christian, the boy next door, starts coming around. Playing his guitar and pushing her to create art once more. She meets some new friends at the local community center, plus even gets her dad to look her in the eye again…sort of.

But can Brynn open up her heart to truly find her life’s own beauty, when living for the after means letting go of the before?

This is a Young Adult title.


add-to-goodreads-button31
 

Click to Buy on Amazon:



About the Author:

I am a compulsive reader and writer who loves YA fiction.

I love nothing more than writing about young adults. There is something so fresh and fun about it. You can pretty much always find me with a book in my hand or open document in front of me.

I live in Southern California with my husband and two children.

Social Media Links:

 photo facebook_128.png photo twitter_128.png photo goodreads_128.png photo blogger_128.png


Guest Review by Michelle Tikal:

It seems that no matter how diverse I try to make my reading selection and how many wonderful new authors I discover, there is an abundance of authors I have yet to have had the joy of experiencing. With the sheer number of Nyrae Dawn’s books, you would have thought I would have read something from her by now. Searching For Beautiful is actually the first book in what now appears to be a long line of Nyrae Dawn books that I have or will be reading in the very near future. Searching For Beautiful is exactly what I love to experience when reading an author’s work for the very first time, writing that is beautiful and emotional, characters that draw you in and don’t let go, and a storyline that is unique, powerful, and moving.

This is a story about a 16 year old. Now before some of you stop reading this thinking that maybe this book will be too young or too immature and decide that this is not the book for you, let me clarify. This is the story of a 16 year old girl who is forced to deal with extremely heavy, traumatic, and mature subjects. This is not merely a story of a high school girl’s first crush or the perils of your everyday run of the mill 16 year old with your typical adolescent issues, but a story of loss, deception, manipulation, grief, and abuse.

The absolutely heartbreaking chain of events right from the start had me hook, line, and sinker while the intensity of the feelings as well as the flow of the story, alternating between past and present, kept me absorbed. Not to mention Christian, who is like a breath of fresh air. He is a life preserver for Brynn and a shining beacon in a sea of grief and hopelessness that propels Brynn and ensures that the weight of such a heavy story does not become too cumbersome. He is unapologetic, fun, confident, and easygoing, he brings much needed lightness, optimism and strength, and is the perfect complement to Brynn.

Searching For Beautiful is a book that absolutely anyone can read and enjoy. It is beautiful and touching with a powerful and lasting message of finding what you need, what is beautiful and important and fulfilling, within yourself and only then will you finally be able to find and enjoy these things in the world around you.

Rating: 4.5 Stars


About Michelle Tikal:

I am a stay at home mother of three small children under the age of 5. I met my wonderful husband in high school and we have been together for 15 years now. I have a bachelor's degree in Accounting of all things, but have found there's a very good probability of never actually putting that degree to use as I'm much more inclined to all things literary. (Not to mention I sort of hated the profession) My biggest pet peeve is simple grammatical errors. I am a huge animal lover and worked as an Animal Control Officer for 3 years before my oldest came along. I love to read and whenever I have free time (is there such a thing?) I can always be found with my reader in hand. I love contemporary and New Adult romance, the more angst the better! I'm a sucker for a happy ending, there is nothing better than a book that can make me ugly cry, and I simply cannot pass up a hot rocker read. My ultimate book boyfriend is a bad boy rock star with plenty of tattoos and piercings but I would be more than willing to forgo multiple tats and the piercings for Kellan Kyle.

Connect with Michelle:

 photo twitter_128.png photo goodreads_128.png

No comments:

Post a Comment