Monday, June 9, 2014

Bang by E.K. Blair: Review

Blurb:

They say when you take revenge against another you lose a part of your innocence.
But I’m not innocent.
I haven’t been for a very long time.
My innocence was stolen from me. Taken was the life I was supposed to have. The soul I was born with. The ruby heart embedded in a life full of hopes and dreams.

Gone.
Vanished.

I never even had a choice.
I mourn that life. Mourn the what-ifs.
Until now.
I’m ready to take back what was always meant to be mine.

But every plan has a fatal flaw. Sometimes it’s the heart.

**Due to the dark and explicit nature of this book, it is recommended for mature audiences only as some scenes may be particularly disturbing.**


Click to Buy E.K. Blair's Books on Amazon:


About the Author:

USA Today bestselling author and International bestselling author, E.K. Blair takes her readers on an emotional roller coaster with her dynamic and intense writing style. Noted for her ability to create fleshed-out characters that will evoke a realm of reactions, you can be assured that her stories will linger with you far beyond the last word.

A former first grade teacher with an imagination that runs wild. Daydreaming and zoning out is how she was often found in high school. Blair tends to drift towards everything dark and moody. Give her a character and she will take pleasure in breaking them down, digging into their core to find what lies underneath.

Aside from writing, E.K. Blair finds pleasure in music, drinking her Starbucks in peace, and spending time with her friends. She’s a thinker, an artist, a wife, a mom, and everything in between.

Social Media Links:

 photo facebook_128.png photo twitter_128.png photo goodreads_128.png photo WebsiteIcon.png


Review by Michelle:

E.K. Blair must have modeled Nina, the cold, cruel, malevolent "heroine" in Bang after herself because I'm pretty sure she is trying to kill me by way of anxiety, suspense, and heartache. That ending alone is enough to make me loathe her just the tiniest bit. Ok so loathe may be a bit harsh and not entirely true as I do derive some sort of perverse satisfaction from being put through the ringer. I may be a little ticked to have to wait for answers and I may not necessarily LIKE her so much at the moment for tormenting me and ruining me for the next book I plan on reading, but I DO LOVE this story and I of course still love her, maybe even a little more than I did before reading Bang. Or maybe a lot.

I had a feeling I knew what I was getting into with this book as the Fading series was often difficult to read and utterly heartbreaking at times yet still gloriously beautiful and wonderfully inspirational. I expected much of the same with Bang, but Bang is... absolutely gut-wrenching and unbelievably soul shattering. The anguish I experienced reading the Fading series couldn't hold a candle to the sheer torture that is Bang. The last 10%... are you kidding me? And then the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers! The actual physical pain experienced while reading parts of this book is lingering and borderline unbearable, but if you are looking for a book that is completely unpredictable, sinister, shocking, suspenseful, brilliant, and makes you feel down to your very core then look no further, this is THE one.

I am in awe of the mastery of this author. Even when writing such a dark, heavy story laced with deceit, manipulation, vengeance, and hatred, E.K. Blair has such an eloquent, stunningly exquisite way with words. The storytelling is expressive and poetic with emotions that run rampant and ooze from each and every page.

The way in which the story is woven is flawless. Memories from the past give glimpses into the foundation and motivation for the raw, unbridled abhorrence Nina feels, but we don't get to the know the entire story until the last possible second, and of course by then it's much too late. Everything about this story is completely unexpected, you have no idea what you are in for and no clue as to where it will lead. Everything is a mystery, every development a surprise. Every move is precisely and perfectly calculated. The twists and turns are appalling and mind-blowing. This story had me thoroughly riveted and completely addicted. I could not put it down and after I was finished, I still could not get it out of my head.

What I really love about E.K. Blair is that she is not afraid to go THERE. To examine things that are not the most comfortable to confront and explore serious, vile, unspeakable issues. Sure it may be a bit traumatizing but unfortunately it is real and it's also fascinating, thought-provoking, and eye-opening.

Bang is a dark, emotional, thriller that is beautifully crafted and so evocative, so intense you feel every emotion, every scenario, every word so viscerally that it makes you ache and feel physically ill at times. Your stomach churns, your palms sweat, and your heart races. It is so sordid and warped I not only question the sanity of E.K. Blair, the evil mastermind with the ability to conjure such a story, but also my own for thoroughly enjoying it as much as I did and begging for more.

Rating: 5+ Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment