Monday, June 2, 2014

Pretty Instinct by S.E. Hall: Blog Tour Review & Excerpt






Blurb:

“If opposites attract, then I am nothing. Because you, you are everything.”

There’s no easy road traveled to such an intense sentiment, one I never dreamt I’d feel…

But I also never planned on Cannon Blackwell climbing aboard my tour bus.

add-to-goodreads-button31

Click to Buy S.E. Hall's Books on Amazon:


Excerpt:

I check my phone for the tenth time. It’s almost 2 am, surely they’re asleep and I can sneak to my own bed. Sleeping with Conner isn’t as fun as you might think, unless you think being caged with a wild animal sounds like a party.

As quietly as possible, I slink out of the bed and through his door, pulling it closed; halfway there. Sending up a silent prayer I don’t meet any open, awake eyes, I turn, relieved at the lack of spectators, and scurry to my bed. After sharing my song tonight, I need some time to pass before I look them in the eyes—those lyrics, the tremor in my voice as I sang—I’m not ready for questions or commentary.

“Pssst.”

Of course I didn’t pull off the covert bed switch undetected. This bus—40 x 8 feet—might as well be a shoebox. I draw back the curtain, squinting my eyes against the dimness.

“Hey,” Cannon greets me with a whisper and grin from his bed, curtain also pulled open.

Giving him back the smile I can’t contain, I finger wave. Has he been waiting up for me? Was I secretly hoping he’d still be awake? Do I want to know either answer or what it says about me? What planet am I living on that this is now an issue?

“Here.” He scoots to the edge of his bunk and hands across…an earbud? Eyeing him curiously, I turn on my side, facing his way, and put it in my ear. “Shhh.” He puts a finger over his lips then winks and slips the other bud in his own ear, only breaking eye contact for a split second to tap the phone screen, then reconnecting in the muted light.

“Hello, Lizzie,” his voice sounds in my ear and as my eyes pop in surprise. He once again does the “shhh” thing, nodding to me to just listen. “I thought about playing you ‘You Are So Beautiful,’ but surely you already know that. This, you may not.”

There’s a brief pause, then music starts… It’s “Have a Little Faith in Me.”

I know I whimper aloud, but I force my eyes to stay on his no matter how badly I want to hide them and the building tears. Through the entire song, I stare and he stares back, mouthing the words every once in a while. With the closing notes, his voice returns.

“Not too corny, I hope. Just…think about it. Sweet dreams, Lizzie.”

Apparently picking up on the fact I’ve been rendered incapable of functioning, he reaches over and gently removes the earbud, taps the end of my nose with his fingertip, then closes my curtain for me.

I’ll have the corny with a side of corny please.



About the Author:

S.E.Hall resides in Arkansas with her husband of 18 years and 3 beautiful daughters. When not in the stands watching her ladies play softball, she enjoys reading.

Social Media Links:

 photo facebook_128.png photo twitter_128.png photo goodreads_128.png photo youtube_128.png


Review by Michelle:

I can't tell you how long I have been looking forward to reading the Emerge series by S.E. Hall and for one reason or another have just never gotten the chance. When I heard about Pretty Instinct, the start of a brand new series, I knew this was my opportunity to finally experience her writing prowess. If you have read any of this author's works then I don't think I need to tell you how impressed I was and how easy it is to see just why there are so many die hard S.E. Hall fans.

The wit and humor stole a piece of my heart right from the get go. I am a sucker for dry wit, scathing sarcasm, clever banter, and intelligent and amusing inner monologue and Pretty Instinct absolutely nailed each and every one of these qualities flawlessly. I lost track of how many times I actually laughed out loud and there was a permanent smile on my face while reading. That was right up until I was blindsided with a nice little twist that changes everything and packs a powerful punch at which point I may or may not have done my fair share of blubbering.

Every single character in this story was amazing and loveable in their own way, yes EVERY character, even the one that seems downright despicable in the beginning. Ok, ok, I will make one tiny exception to this statement for Grandma Fiancé who actually isn't even likeable let alone loveable, but she does make for some hilarious moments by way of humorous nicknames and audacious confrontations. Elizabeth/Lizzie/Bethy/Mama Bear is super sassy and just my kind of girl. She is fiercely loyal, loves with all she has, has a hard as nails exterior, but is just as soft, sweet, and penetrable as the rest of us behind her walls. Cannon is pretty dreamy. He always knows exactly what to say in any and all circumstances, he is tolerant and understanding, and so sweet he makes my teeth hurt. Don't even get me started on Connor. Connor is so sweet, kind, innocent, and pure, you will absolutely fall in love.

I'm not the biggest fan of couples professing their love within days of meeting, but in this case the instant connection, the situation, and the amount of time the two are forced to spend together in such close quarters makes it much more easy to swallow, totally believable, and thoroughly enjoyable.

Pretty Instinct is smart, funny, intriguing, and entertaining. It is the perfect love story that chronicles not just the finding and embracing of romantic love, but also the loyalty, acceptance and revival of familial love, and the allegiance, dependability, and devotion of an unbreakable love between friends. If someone out there is compiling a list of S.E. Hall fans please be sure to add my name to the lengthy list as I have definitely been made a believer and look forward to so much more.

Rating: 4.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment