Monday, August 11, 2014

Wounded & Captured by Jasinda Wilder: Series Review

Wounded


Blurb:

War has taken everything from me. My family. My home. My innocence. In a country blasted by war and wracked by economic hardship, a young orphan girl like me has very few options when it comes to survival. Thus, I do what I must to live, to eat, and I try very hard to not consider the cost to my soul. My heart is empty, and my existence brutal.

The one impossibility in my life is love.

And then I meet HIM.

War is hell. It takes a chunk out of a man's very soul to do the kinds of things war demands of you. You live with fear, you live with guilt, and you live with nightmares. If you haven't been through it, there's no understanding it. War leaves no room for love, no room for tenderness or softness. You gotta be hard, closed off, and ready to fight every moment of every day. Lose focus for a split second, and you're dead.

Now the only thing that can save me is HER.


Review by Michelle:

I have been chomping at the bit for the opportunity to read my very first Jasinda Wilder book and it has finally come in the form of Wounded. I have heard only good things about this author's work so I knew I was in for a treat yet I was still in no way prepared for THIS. This book was leaps and bounds above and beyond what I expecting. It is so completely different from anything I had read before and evoked a stunning range of emotions. There was pain and devastation, shock and disgust, fear and suspense, joy and redemption, faith and love, and everything in between. I absolutely devoured Wounded and enjoyed every last minute of it.

From the blurb I assumed Wounded was the story of two people who fall in love amongst the dismal and perilous backdrop of a war torn country in which survival is paramount and hope is a thing of the past. From the blurb I expected a lost, lonely girl to fall for a hardened, courageous soldier. This is exactly what I experienced, and so very much more. These were not people united by the same beliefs, striving for the same goals, on the same side, or even bonded by the same language. These characters came from completely different worlds with not a single commonality between them yet they were able to find each other, to fall in love in the midst of a horrific and menacing setting, and to finally bring hope and happiness into each other lives.

Jasinda Wilder's writing is simply astounding. The description, the detail, the imagery is so vivid, so evocative, so arresting you feel as if you are right there with these characters. You want to run and hide far away from the gruesome barbarism taking place in so many different forms, you feel as though you need to take cover from the errant bullets you can almost feel flying past you, and you feel compelled to jump in and help these characters in some way, protect them, or at the very least comfort them, as their suffering is so tangible it causes you to experience real physical pain.

Wounded is the perfect combination of romance and transcendence, and action and suspense. It is so detailed, so explicit, so thrilling, so captivating, so nerve-racking, and so very well written it is as if you are experiencing the scenes unfold right before your very eyes. The prologue starts your blood pumping and action is packed throughout Rania's devastating and heartbreaking story of all that was lost, all that she was forced to do and everything she was forced to give up in order to survive. A story that is also ultimately unbelievably uplifting as well. A tale of companionship, camaraderie, intimacy and enduring love.

What happens when you throw two broken characters who could not possibly be more different together in a seemingly inescapable and insanely treacherous situation? An intensely touching and achingly beautiful love story? Apparently so. Emotions abound, and not just for the characters. Your heart goes out to Rania and you feel each hard knock that is delivered to her time and time again throughout her life. You will quickly fall for Hunter, the hopeless romantic that is so sweet, thoughtful, and caring, who doesn't let the ultimate betrayal or the brutality of war harden him or alter these qualities, who is fiercely protective and would and does do absolutely anything for the one that he loves.

Wounded is a refreshingly unique, completely captivating, and marvelously unexpected read. You simply cannot help but be sucked in to this tragic and harrowing story and there is nothing you can do except sit back, let the alluring words and stunning imagery wash over you and simply enjoy the ride for it is well for it in the end.

Rating: 5 Stars

Captured

Blurb:

You go into combat, you fear death. It's what keeps you careful, keeps you alive. I've faced death more times than I can count. I've taken bullets. I've taken lives.

But nothing can prepare me for the soul-crushing terror of being captured.

***

I married a Marine. I knew the risks. Every time my husband shipped out, I knew there was a chance he wouldn't come back. But Thomas always did. Always. Then one day two officers in full dress uniform knocked on my door and shattered my world.

How do you keep going when you lose what made life worth living?



Review by Michelle:

After reading my very first Jasinda Wilder novel, Wounded, there is no turning back for me, I am hooked, I am a staunch supporter and will be singing this woman's praises for some time to come. Then I read Captured by Jasinda and Jack Wilder and I was blown away. I thought I was in deep before, but I had no idea. Captured is a searingly emotional read that leaves you raw and reeling but also soothed and comforted with a love story beyond compare that speaks to your very soul.

Captured is more than just reading a book, more than experiencing the story even, it is a mesmerizing multi-sensory experience. One in which you can hear the gun fire and the screaming. You can smell the smoke, feel the tremors from the explosions that rock the ground beneath your feet, taste the sweat and fear, and watch the atrocities of war unfolding before you. The action is unparalleled, I have never felt more totally immersed in a story before. Your heart races, your adrenaline spikes, your palms are damp and the overwhelming sense of danger, dread, and foreboding is enough to make you an anxious wreck while the hold that this book and these author have on you is incomparable as there is absolutely no way that you can put it down, walk away, or get it out of your head.

But that's not all. The raw emotion that bleeds from each and every word is breathtaking. Every single event, situation, scene, and description is so emotionally charged at times you need a breather just to regroup. And I am not just talking about the pain, the terror, the despair, the grief, and the loss, but also the love, the connection, the determination, and the inspiration. These emotions are so intense, they run so deep, you feel them down to your very bones.

Within the pages you will find some deeply touching, heart achingly tear-jerking letters. The first letter. The letter from the prologue. That letter got me. It grabbed me by the heart and absolutely refused to let go. From that moment on I was captured. I was ensnared. I was immediately invested, uncannily captivated, and thoroughly engrossed and it only got better from there. In honor of these powerful letters I decided to address some very important people and pour out my thoughts about this book in the form a couple of letters as well.

Dear Jasinda and Jack Wilder,

You have touched me down to my very core. You have shaken me, changed me, and warped me and though these may be minor shifts in my thoughts, perceptions, and feelings, the truth is I am no longer quite the same person after experiencing this story as I was before. You have made in an impression on me, not just with your impeccable writing which flowed flawlessly and effortlessly through ups and downs so extreme they make your head spin, but more importantly an extremely significant and long and lasting impression that will be a constant reminder of the freedom that we take for granted on a daily basis, the torment troops are enduring at this very moment, and the hardships of families struggling to get by without deployed family members, the reality that is faced for those lucky enough to see a return, or worse yet, loved ones that have been lost forever.

You have given me a greater sense of hope and possibility and renewed my faith in second chances. You have inspired me to live and love like there is no tomorrow and never deny the potential for something great just because there is a possibility you can be hurt at some point along the journey.

For all this I am truly grateful.

Dear potential Captured readers,

What I really want to convey to you and the most important thing for you to understand is that there are quite a few soul shattering, agonizingly tragic, terribly devastating elements to this story. Whatever you do, do not let this deter you, do not miss out on this extraordinary story. This is about war at its most brutal and it is unrelenting, uncaring, and unforgiving but there is just enough humor and intimacy sprinkled throughout to give you some much needed relief and the awe-inspiring hope, love, and inspiration are by far worth it in the end.

Rating: 5 Stars

Click to Buy Captured & Wounded on Amazon:


About the Author:

New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jasinda Wilder is a Michigan native with a penchant for titillating tales about sexy men and strong women. When she’s not writing, she’s probably shopping, baking, or reading.

​Some of her favorite authors include Nora Roberts, JR Ward, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Liliana Hart and Bella Andre.

She loves to travel and some of her favorite vacations spots are Las Vegas, New York City and Toledo, Ohio.

You can often find Jasinda drinking sweet red wine with frozen berries and eating a cupcake.

Jasinda is represented by Kristin Nelson of the Nelson Literary Agency.

Social Media Links:

 photo facebook_128.png photo twitter_128.png photo goodreads_128.png  photo WebsiteIcon.png

No comments:

Post a Comment