Friday, September 5, 2014

Empathy by Ker Dukey: Review

Blurb:

Blake:

I am a brother
I am a police detective
I am a contract killer
I don’t want to love
I don’t want to feel
I don’t want … EMPATHY.

They say some people are born with decreased activity in the front central lobe causing them a deficiency in empathy. Maybe that’s true about me but whether I was born this way or created in a moment of evil, empathy was something I didn’t possess until her green eyes met mine in the mirror and I couldn’t take her life.
I didn’t want to feel, didn’t want this woman in my life complicating how I lived but she was there at every turn. Sent to haunt me for my sins. Her light so bright she provoked a shadow from everyone she touched. When a job turns bad quickly altering my life forever I’m forced to feel. When nothing is making sense I’m forced to face truths I never would recover from. When life drowns you in its cruelty you don’t know which way the current will drag you or who you’ll become once you re-surface.

Melody:

I was a daughter
I was a student
I was a victim
Did I have his love?
Did I make him feel?
Did I have his empathy?
When the actions of a soulless killer forces sorrow into my veins I never dreamed the man healing my wounds would be the one to leave the worst scar. His love would scar my soul. Scars are permanent; I will never feel the relief from them. Will I learn to live with them, remember why I have them and learn never to let him close enough to inflict more? Will I eventually cover them… like tattoos coating them with new memories, new love and new starts? I didn’t know these answers because the pain was too suffocating, the only thing I knew was they will always be under the surface lingering. He had scars too, from his sins. There is nothing that can cover them, they were too deep, too ugly, too dark and they marked us both forever.


Click to Buy Ker Dukey's Books on Amazon:


About the Author:

I have always had a passion for storytelling, whether it be through lyrics or bed time stories with my sisters. I wanted to be an actress growing up so I could live many roles but I learned early on that my mind was too active, I would want to change the script. I would watch films and think of ways they could of improved the story if they took another direction.

My mum would always have a book in her hand when I was young and passed on her love for reading, inspiring me to venture into writing my own. I tend to have a darker edge to my writing. Not all love stories are made from light, some are created in darkness but are just as powerful and worth telling too.
When I’m not lost in the world of characters I love spending time with my family. I’m a mum and that comes first in my life, but when I do get down time, I love attending music concerts with my younger sister, who shares my reading soul, we are two peas in a pod.

Social Media Links:

 photo facebook_128.png photo twitter_128.png photo goodreads_128.png

Review by Michelle:

Empathy was my very first book by Ker Dukey and if they are all like this one, I will definitely be taking a breather before starting another. This book was intense. It was dark and twisty. It was absolutely fascinating and there was so much mystery and intrigue it was incredibly difficult to put down. I was completely sucked in by the blurb and held captive by the story of a man with no feelings, no remorse, no empathy. The only thing is, this man isn't who you think he is at all.

After reading the synopsis we are somewhat prepared to meet Blake who sounds, quite frankly, a little scary, even more messed up, and a whole lot intriguing. It turns out that there are actually two scintillating men who will capture your interest and commandeer your thoughts. Enter Ryan who just so happens to have a surprising connection to Blake and some pretty serious issues of his own.

The plot is extremely clever and well-thought out. Just when you think you have it all figured out, you think you know what is going to happen, what should happen, what you want to happen, everything is turned completely on its head and you are left reeling. There is surprise after surprise, some you may have had an inkling about and others that are totally jaw dropping and catch you completely off guard.

I was captivated, interested, and excited the entire story, I just wasn't as moved by the events and emotions in this story as I anticipated. To be honest I was really beginning to identify with Blake's lack of empathy when some pretty earth shattering events happen to Melody and I didn't feel much of anything for her. Maybe it was a lack of connection? Not necessarily with Melody because I was rooting for her and did care about her and her well being throughout the story. More like I didn't feel a real strong bond between her and what she lost which left me feeling things on a very surface level instead of pain and loss that creates an ache deep down and festers tearing you up inside.

Not to worry, whether you are deeply affected by Melody's tragedy or not, you will certainly feel all kinds of emotions over the course of this story. Ranging from distaste and disgust to shock and amazement, from uneasy and disturbed to enlivened and stimulated, from anxious to exhilarated. This story was pretty insane, a little creepy, and definitely thrilling.

While I unquestionably enjoyed the ending, I did feel like once we got to the goods, things were wrapped up a little too quickly for my liking, large chucks of time were skipped over, and not enough time was dedicated to the aftermath in this story. There was the perfect amount of buildup, just enough misleading and manipulation, and plenty of surprises. I would have loved to have been able to spend more time in the outcome, really explore the resolution, and to experience more of where each of the characters ended up.

Empathy is completely original, totally unexpected and thoroughly enthralling. Admittedly the end makes me nervous but I hope it means there will be more to come. If you are into gripping mind-bending books that keep you guessing the whole way through, Empathy is definitely the book for you.

Rating: 4 Stars

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your review. There will be a second book called Desolate. <3

    ReplyDelete