Monday, December 22, 2014

Lies Unspoken (Flawed Love #1) by Lisa De Jong: Review

Blurb:

I tried hard not to fall for the bad guy.

My new roommate, Blake, is a jerk—an unemployed artist with a chip on his shoulder. I can’t stand him unless his hands are on me. He makes me desperate for him, and everything he makes me feel.

And then there’s my new boss, Pierce--successful, charming, and extremely good-looking. He goes after what he wants, but what does he see in me?

I try to stay away, but I end up in the arms of exactly who I was hiding from. And when I find out what’s being hidden from me, my heart twists in ways it never should.

I thought I knew him.
I didn't.
The way he kissed me.
The way his hands traveled every inch of my skin.
I thought it meant something, but as it turns out, it was all lies unspoken.


Click to Buy Lisa De Jong's Books on Amazon:



About the Author:

Lisa De Jong is a wife, mother and full-time number cruncher who lives in the Midwest. Her writing journey involved insane amounts of coffee and many nights of very little sleep but she wouldn't change a thing. She also enjoys reading, football and music.

Social Media Links:

 photo facebook_128.png photo twitter_128.png photo goodreads_128.png photo blogger_128.png


Review by Michelle:

I may have mentioned a time or two that I am an angst lover and love triangles just so happen to be my favorite kind. You may also know by now that when it comes to angst, Lisa De Jong definitely knows what she is doing.

Lies Unspoken starts with a heart crushing beginning that almost makes you want to reconsider this book if within just the first few pages you could be so drawn into the story that you feel the hurt radiating off of the pages and you just want to reach out and give the main character, Lila, a great big hug. These intense feelings right off the bat make you want to put all of your plans on hold to voraciously devour each word in hopes of a better, more redeeming journey for this poor girl.

The love triangle creates such a bizarre and wonderful mix of emotions. There is usually a front runner in the race to win the woman's heart and this story is no different. It is always joyous and exhilarating when this clear favorite becomes the victor, but can be shocking and just as thrilling in its own way when he is not the chosen one. I can't seem to figure out which scenario I like best and I certainly won't divulge which way this one went, just know that either way, it is always worth the trip. Not only is there the emotionally draining yet undeniably exciting push and pull of a heavy decision hanging over your head for most of this story, once a decision has been made there is an even more staggering decision made in the end that is completely unexpected yet perfectly fitting and bound to completely tear you apart. It was incredibly upsetting, yet wonderfully ingenious and I loved it!

Although I am a huge fan of a love triangle, I am not that big on the heroine instantly deciding who would be a better fit based on wealth, social status, refinement, or who it would be easier to be with. I love a good bad boy and believe they can make just as good, if not better, love interests as the cultured, wealthy businessman. I don't necessarily think that Lisa De Jong feels differently about this than I do, I just didn't love how one man was automatically confined to the not good for me corner while the other was viewed as a much better choice from the start without knowing much about either of them. Lila may have considered certain incredibly important traits such as how man each treated her, their overall attitude toward her, life in general, and relationships, as well as openness and willingness to commit, she also did consider image and what each could offer her and though it may not have ultimately changed her decision, it was a factor throughout and made for some frustrating back and forth while trying to fit each man into a certain mold.

Not only is there an emotionally turbulent triangle, but an interesting and exciting twist that connects Blake and Pierce, brings about far more questions than it answers, and creates a potentially volatile competition for Lila's affections.

I would have enjoyed just a bit more connection, affection, or tenderness in the beginning of Blake and Lila's relationship to reinforce why Lila keeps coming back for more. I am all for an instant and combustible attraction, but the no strings arrangement never seems to work especially when one person is prone to falling and falling hard and once those feelings begin to encroach while the other is still in it for the strictly physical perks and isn't always particularly nice. It makes you wonder why the person with developing feelings is such a glutton for punishment.

Lies Unspoken is an emotional, angst filled, completely addicting ride that will leave you hurting for the next installment, but fear not, there will be no agonizing for months as Love Unspoken's release is just around the corner.

Rating: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment