Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Away from the Dark (The Light #2) by Aleatha Romig: Release Blitz Review & Excerpt


Blurb:

Nine months ago, Sara Adams awoke with no memory. The man holding her hand told her she’s a member of The Light, a tight-knit religious group led by the terrifying and charismatic Father Gabriel. As a woman in the community of The Light, her duty is to be unquestionably obedient and to submit to the will of her husband.

But as Sara’s memory starts to return and she remembers her past, she sees that everything she’s been told is a lie. The Light is an insidious and dangerous organization, and its corrupting influence reaches well beyond the confines of the remote campus where Sara is being held.

With everything at stake, Sara struggles to sort out her true memories from her indoctrination. The desire to escape consumes her, but who can she trust? And which other followers of The Light were forced into this life, brainwashed to believe they belonged? The more she remembers, the more it becomes clear that Jacob, the man who calls himself her husband, is keeping shattering secrets of his own.

But Sara cannot flee alone, leaving innocents behind. She must fight to extinguish The Light.



Click to Buy The Light Series on Amazon:

.

Excerpt:

Sara

Shrill screams echoed throughout our dimly lit bedroom, accelerating my heartbeat and pulling me from the terrible nightmare. I waited for more, until the realization struck. The screams were my own.

“Jacob?” I called, my voice shaking with dread as I reached for my husband. Instead of reassurance, my fingers met cold empty sheets. He was gone—still away at another campus.

What just happened? Was it a dream?

I clung to the covers as I puffed my cheeks and slowly exhaled. While each breath helped to still the chaos, the exercise wasn’t enough.

Who am I? Who is he?

Jacob’s questions from months ago came back. They were my security. They’d worked before.

I am Sara Adams and my husband is Jacob Adams.

Pushing the images from my dream, or nightmare, away, I imagined Jacob’s comforting embrace. Slowly I threw back the down comforter and willed the cool air to soothe my perspiration-drenched skin. From the way my heart galloped in my chest, I might have been running a marathon, not sleeping.

In my sleep I’d been battling to escape a vehicle, and then an explosion of heat.
It had been a dream, I reassured myself—a nightmare. The accident I’d had, nearly nine months before, had been different. I couldn’t remember it, but I’d been told that I’d been injured and gone unconscious. In the nightmare I had been out and away from the wreckage.

I shook my head.

It seemed so real.

In my dream I hadn’t been able to see past the darkness, yet I’d known I wasn’t injured.
My arms surrounded my midsection as the memories replayed like pictures in my mind. Someone was hurting me—purposely harming me, and there was a voice—a deep voice.

Jacob’s voice?

No. He wouldn’t hurt me.

My entire body shuddered as goose bumps peppered my skin. Sitting upright, I reached for the bedside lamp. With trembling fingers I turned the knob and my eyes adjusted as the soft light combined with the sun’s perpetual summer glow.

I closed my eyes and tried to concentrate on Jacob’s questions.

Who am I? Who is he?

This time I said the words aloud, praying that if I spoke the truth, the images would disappear. “I am Sara Adams. He is my husband, Jacob Adams.” I pulled myself from the bed and walked to the bathroom. Turning on the light and the faucet, I cupped the cool water and splashed my face. As I reached for the cup and began to fill it, a metaphoric dam that had been constructed to hold back my past burst.

My mind was flooded—no longer with simple images, but with scene after scene.

For the first time since I could recall, I knew the woman in the mirror.

I knew me.

Author Bio:

Aleatha Romig voted #1 "New Author to Read" on Goodreads, July 2012 through now! She is a "Published Author's Network" member of the Romance Writer's of America.

She has lived most of her life in Indiana, growing-up in Mishawaka, graduating from Indiana University, and currently living south of Indianapolis. Together with her husband of twenty six years, they've raised three children. She works days as a dental hygienist and enjoys spending her nights writing. She also likes to spend time with her family, friends and patients. Her pastimes include exercising, reading and writing.

Aleatha enjoys traveling, especially when there is a beach involved. In 2011 she had the opportunity to visit Sydney, Australia to visit her daughter studying at the University of Wollongong. Her dream is to travel to places in her novels and around the world. CONSEQUENCES, her first novel was released in August 2011 and has sold over 20,000 copies. TRUTH, the sequel was released October 2012 and has surpassed 10,000 copies in less than 3 months!

Aleatha originally published through self publisher Xlibris a subsidiarity of Author's Solution/ Penguin Publishing. In October of 2012 she re-published on her own, a true Indie Author. Later that month she published Truth through Romig Works. Aleatha is happy to be represented by Danielle Egan-Miller of Browne & Miller Literary Associates.

Social Media Links:

 photo facebook_128.png photo twitter_128.png photo goodreads_128.png photo blogger_128.png

Review by Michelle:

Caution! You may want to consult your cardiologist before starting Away from the Dark. I haven't read such a thrilling, anxiety-inducing, pulse-racing, stressful, stimulating, and exhilarating story in a very long time. Every one of Aleatha Romig's books makes your heart palpitate, your pulse accelerate, and your palms slick at one time or another, but this book seizes and consumes you from the very start and absolutely refuses to let you go until long after the last word. Not even allowing for a breather as the point of view expertly volleys back and forth between perspectives at just the right moment leaving you anxious and breathless and hanging by a thread waiting to find out what happens next with our heroine, only to be wrapped up in and frazzled all over again by the predicament of the hero. Not to mention a thoroughly intriguing, much more ominous POV sprinkled throughout. Never before have I felt such arrhythmia while reading or been so concerned for my own well being all while being so wholly immersed in and possessed by a story.

If you were invested in the characters in the first book, your heart will go out to these two as they fight a continuous battle between who they were, who they have become, and who they hope to be. As they are torn between what is best for themselves, what's best for each other, and what's best for the community and are forced to make a nearly impossible choice.

This installment will have you hanging on every word as you formulate and reformulate theories as pieces gradually fall into place and more snippets of information are collected along the way. And let me tell you, you may think you know all there is to know or that you have it all figured out, but you will soon find you have only begun to scratch the surface.

Aleatha Romig never ceases to amaze me with her unique and brilliant stories, her immensely clever and addicting plotlines, and her awe inspiring ability to captivate from beginning to end. Be warned, this is a one sitting read so be sure to clear your schedule before starting and don't even think about opening this book up right before bed as you are virtually guaranteed to be sleep deprived the next morning after being completely absorbed by the story and unable to put this book down for anything, least of all sleep.

Away from the Dark is so unique, so smart, so fascinating, and so addicting, my head is still spinning. As I sit here in stunned silence trying to process everything I've read, there is one thing that plays on a continuous loop in my head, one thing that I just can't get over, one thing I can't stop thinking and hoping and wishing. PLEASE tell me there's more! I can't get these characters out of my head, I can't get over this intricate, enthralling, intoxicating story, I can't stop smiling, I can't stop worrying, I can't move on...I NEED more! Are you ready to not only be Aleatha'd, but to find your next book obsession? This is it!
*complimentary copy provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

Rating: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment