Sunday, January 15, 2017

Retreat (Getaway #1) by Jay Crownover: Review

Blurb:

Every once in a while, you need to get away from it all.

I was a woman on the edge, shaken and shattered after a breakup that felt like it tore my entire world apart.

My best friend, sick of watching me drown in misery and melancholy, harassed me until I agreed to go with her on a week-long wilderness retreat.

She promised days spent bonding and getting in touch with our inner bad-asses.
It was supposed to be all about the two of us roughing it and making do with the bare minimum. She assured me we were going to be pushed to our limits in ways that were unimaginable. Neither one of us could have ever guessed just how right she was.

Nowhere in the glossy brochure did it say anything about the fact I was going to have to battle the insufferable but deliciously rugged and sexy trail guide instead of the elements. The brochure also forgot to mention the part that warned when you left civilization behind, there was no place to pack your inhibitions and fears.

I was told that I would be facing a week where the only thing I should expect was the unexpected. However, no one mentioned that I was going to have to fight for my life…and my heart as soon as I ventured into the unknown.

I was a pro at hiding from my feelings but when it came time to face a real threat, one that could change everything, I learned I was more of a no surrender, no retreat kind of girl.

Retreat is a standalone novel, the first in the Getaway series which centers on the hardheaded and brokenhearted Warner brothers and the women that dare to love them.

These boys are very good at putting the wild in wilderness.


Click to Buy on Amazon:

.

About the Author:

Jay Crownover is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Marked Men series. She also introduced the dark and sexy world of The Point that started with BETTER WHEN HE's BAD and is currently working on her newest series The Saint of Denver. Like her characters, she is a big fan of tattoos. She loves music and wishes she could be a rock star, but since she has no aptitude for singing or instrument playing, she'll settle for writing stories with interesting characters that make the reader feel something. She lives in Colorado with her three dogs.


Social Media Links:

 photo facebook_128.png photo twitter_128.png photo goodreads_128.png photo WebsiteIcon.png

Review by Yvette:

When I think of cowboys, I don't necessarily think of Jay Crownover...until now that is. I never would've thought the author who's created some of my favorite tatted up bad boys would venture to the Wild West, but I sure am glad she did. The author’s latest release, Retreat, combines a sizzling romance between protagonists, Leo and Cyrus, with nail-biting suspense and a dash of mystery. There’s action. There’s danger. There’s angst. There’s all the ingredients for a gripping page-turner. Told through the perspective of our lovably snarky heroine, Retreat is ultimately about Leo embracing her inner badass and learning to both give up and take control of her life. It’s an entrancing journey of self-discovery, inviting readers to experience life and love with the hope of a happily-ever-after.

After reading the author’s note at the start of Retreat, I was expecting our heroine, Leo, to be difficult to like but I (thankfully) didn’t find that to be the case at all. Yes, she’s guarded and sarcastic with a whole host of trust issues, but I appreciated the fact that she wasn’t blind to her faults. Once she’s dragged to the wilderness for a trip with her best friend in the hopes of getting over a relationship-gone-bad, she decides to make the best of things, even if it puts her way out of her comfort zone. I empathized with her situation and even found her fiery attitude to be entertaining, especially when she focused that attitude toward Cy, her gruff and intimating trail guide. From the moment they meet, the reluctant attraction between Leo and the unconventional cowboy brings a spark of energy that had me tearing through the pages.

Retreat brings together two hot-tempted and outspoken individuals who always seemed to be a split second away from jumping each other’s bones, which was, quite honestly, one of my favorite things about the book. Leo and Cy have a raw, primal attraction that practically begs them to give in to their baser instincts, which leads to scorching hot, fan-your-face-steamy love scenes so sexy, you'll be in danger of spontaneous combustion. Just an FYI ladies, that commanding and no-nonsense air that Leo has? It extends to the bedroom (and the shower, and hot spring, etc). Who knew his unapologetic bluntness would translate to being a skillful dirty-talker? The man is just plain naughty but in a rugged, slightly menacing way, which, I must say…worked for me). Between Leo and Cy’s romance and the imminent danger lurking on their trail, Retreat is sure to set your heart racing.

If I could spend a week with Cy and his brothers in the great outdoors, I'd be on a plane to Wyoming in a heartbeat...even though I don't like camping...or eating fish... or know how to ride a horse… I mean, who wouldn’t? Overall, Retreat is a fantastic start to a new series – one that promises more romantic entanglements, gut-wrenching emotions, and irresistibly sexy cowboys to come.

*complimentary copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review

Rating: 5 Stars 

17 comments:

  1. thanks for the great review. I will definitely be reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this review really makes me want to read this book thank you for the insight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review, look forward to checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I have always loved her books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds to me like you really enjoyed this book because your writing on this review made me think I just might love this book too so well done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great read like all of Jay Crownover books!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an awesome review. It sounds like something I'd love to get my hands on! Thanks for leaving a great review. ♡

    ReplyDelete