Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Beneath The Truth (Beneath #7) by Meghan March: Release Blitz Review & Excerpt


Blurb:

From USA Today bestselling author Meghan March comes the final sexy standalone set in the Beneath world of New Orleans.

I used to believe there were lines in life you don't cross.
Don't lie. Don't cheat. Don't steal.
Until I learned people don't always practice what they preach.
I turned in my badge and gun and walked away from everything.
Then I got the call no one wants, and I’m back in New Orleans.
What I don't expect is for her to be here too.
Another line you don’t cross?
Don't touch your best friend’s little sister.
She's always been off-limits.
Too bad I don't follow the rules anymore.



Click to Buy the Beneath Series on Amazon:

.

Review by Michelle:

As soon as I heard the name Rhett Hennessy, I was all in. I have been waiting for Beneath The Truth ever since we were first introduced to the brooding, straight-as-an-arrow, smoldering alpha detective early on in the series and I am definitely far from alone in this, so it's only fitting that Meghan March decided to end this thrillingly addictive series with Hennessy's story.

Beginning with the ultimate betrayal, significant loss, and overwhelming guilt, this book starts off with quite the shock and doesn't let up from there. The best kind of best friend's little sister story, there is very little drama since Rhett is a man of such loyalty and integrity. Hennessy steps up, mans up, and makes his intentions known long before pushing too fast or too far all in the name of her honor, her family's, and his own and makes me respect him and love him all the more for it.

Rhett just so happens to also be just the right kind of man that can appreciate a strong, independent, extremely intelligent woman. While many men would be intimidated by Ariel's smarts and immense success, Rhett truly appreciates them and encourages them. Ariel is a complex heroine though, and while she may be a CEO powerhouse, the awkward, bumbling mess she becomes around Hennessy is adorable and awfully endearing and most likely hits close to home for many of us. Ari's sweet, schoolgirl crush on Rhett never ceased to make me grin and giggle both in remembrance of my own young infatuations as well as in testament of the irresistibility of Rhett.

The conclusion to the Beneath series and a whole lot more. With a fascinating glimpse into a new character that is sure to lead you into your next series obsession, Beneath the Truth is more than just the end of a favorite series, it is the introduction into a whole new, darker world, and the birth of another must read trilogy all in one. And that's not all! While I hate that this is the end of a series that I absolutely adore, I did love the way the other characters were brought into this story and the way in which a single chapter in this last book perfectly wraps up the entire series in an terrifically sweet and completely soul satisfying way.

A whole lot more blood and tears than we may be used to seeing in this series, but after waiting for so long for Rhett's story, he definitely needed to go out with a bang, and that he certainly did. The vast majority of the book may have been spent trying to piece together the mystery behind a couple of dirty cops and exploring the evolution of a relationship that has been in the makings for over a decade, but the last quarter of this story is all thrilling, edge-of-your seat, heart-pounding goodness.

A sad and joyous occasion all at once, Beneath the Truth is the tearful ending to a much loved series, the redemption that former Detective Hennessy so desperately needed, and a blissful conclusion that is virtually guaranteed to have tears rolling down your cheeks with a huge smile plastered on your face. Whether you are a fan of the series, a fan of mysterious, sexy, alpha detective types, a fan of smart and quirky successful women, or just a fan of great romances, Beneath the Truth has it all.

*complimentary copy provided by author for an honest review

Rating: 4.5 Stars

About the Author:

Meghan March is the author of contemporary and erotic romance novels.

Meghan March has been known to wear camo face paint and tromp around in woods wearing mud-covered boots, all while sporting a perfect manicure. She’s also impulsive, easily entertained, and absolutely unapologetic about the fact that she loves to read and write smut. Her past lives include slinging auto parts, selling lingerie, making custom jewelry, and practicing corporate law. Writing books about dirty talking alpha males and the strong, sassy women who bring them to their knees is by far the most fabulous job she’s ever had. She loves hearing from her readers at meghanmarchbooks@gmail.com.

Social Media Links:


Excerpt:

Wham. My heart slammed against my ribs as it sped up about twenty beats per minute.

The heat and delicious woodsy citrus scent radiating from his body did good things to me. Things that made me want to do very bad things to him. I wasn’t a seventeen-year-old virgin anymore. I knew my way around a man, but I had to admit, the hipsters in Cali had nothing on a homegrown Louisiana man like Rhett.

When he spoke, he leaned in so close that I could feel his breath on my ear. “You missed that shot on purpose.”

My gaze jumped from the sexy five o’clock shadow shading his jaw to his piercing green eyes.

“Wha-what are you talking about?” I smacked myself mentally when my old stammer kicked in. Of course he would cause it.

“That shot. You missed on purpose. I saw you adjust at the last minute. Why?”

I swallowed the saliva pooling in my mouth and decided to take the safest exit from this situation. Lying.

“Cue slipped.”

His eyes narrowed on me. “You’re lying and you’re terrible at it, just like you’ve always been.” He reached up and pressed his thumb to my left eyebrow. “You get a twitch right here.”

Oh my God. Rhett Hennessy is touching me. And what’s more . . . he knows my tell. He noticed me!

The fifteen-year-old inside me did a terrible cartwheel at the realization. Okay, more of a round-off. With a tumble in the grass to finish. Whatever.

But outwardly, I was trapped in that green gaze until he decided to let me go—or until I came to my senses.

I cleared my throat and sidestepped him. “Whatever you say, hotshot. I need another drink.”

Focusing on putting one four-inch heel in front of the other without biting it, I escaped to the table and reached for the whiskey glass I’d left behind, interrupting my brother and the waitress. They both stared at me as I chugged the contents.

I’d always wondered what it would feel like to have Rhett’s attention, and now I knew. In a word, it was . . . unnerving.

“How’s the game going?” my brother asked.

“Fine.” Keeping my answer short meant he couldn’t tell that I was lying. Heath wasn’t nearly as observant as Rhett.

“You winning?”

Thanking the Lord that Heath obviously hadn’t been watching, I shrugged. “I guess.”

He glanced toward Rhett and then back to me. “The sister I know and love doesn’t lose at pool. Ever. Even to Rhett Hennessy.”

I lowered the glass to the table and straightened my shoulders. “Like they say, things change.”

He nodded slowly. “That may be true about most things, Flounder. But you’re a pool shark and we both know it.”

Before I could respond, Heath’s attention jumped back to the waitress. I took another ten seconds to gather myself, also known as drinking offensively in my mind, before I crossed the floor to face off against my former obsession.

“You all right, Red?” Rhett asked.

“Don’t call me that. And I’ve never been better.”

His gaze dipped to my feet and dragged up my body. “I can agree with that statement.”

Whoa. Who is this guy with the innuendo? A glance at his empty whiskey glass told me he was drinking heavily as well. Was this the booze talking? Or was Rhett Hennessy not just noticing me, but noticing me?

Either way, I had to play it cool. Or at least pretend to play it cool, since it seemed I might fall short.

“Your turn, hotshot. Better not miss, because I’ll clear the table next time,” I said, but my cocky attitude backfired.

Rhett didn’t miss. He sank his balls and then the eight, ending the game almost as quickly as it started. He returned his cue to the rack and turned to face me, all traces of the earlier heat banked, his expression shuttered.

“Game over.”

What the hell just happened?


No comments:

Post a Comment