Friday, January 13, 2017

Rock Chick Reawakening (Rock Chick #0.5) by Kristen Ashley: Blog Tour Review & Excerpt



Blurb:

From New York Times bestselling author, Kristen Ashley, comes the long-awaited story of Daisy and Marcus, Rock Chick Reawakening. A prequel to Kristen’s Rock Chick series, Rock Chick Reawakening shares the tale of the devastating event that nearly broke Daisy, an event that set Marcus Sloan—one of Denver’s most respected businessmen and one of the Denver underground’s most feared crime bosses—into finally making his move to win the heart of the woman who stole his.


Click to Buy The Rock Chick Series on Amazon:

.

Excerpt:

“Who’s that tall, dark drink of handsome water?” I asked Ashlynn, my eyes on the tall man with broad shoulders and fabulous suit who was sauntering out of the club in the manner of a man who owned it.

In the manner of a man who owned anything he wanted.

“Don’t go there,” Ashlynn answered.

I looked to Ashlynn.

“What, sugar?”

She shook her head. “He’s hot. Knew a girl who’s had him and I’ll repeat, he’s hot. Took her out four times. All to fancy restaurants where she had to buy fancy dresses and shoes. And he gave it to her good at the end of the night, and I mean real good, the way she described it. He also, like, opened the car door for her and everything.”

Opened the car door for her.

And everything.

Oh my.

“Ended it with her giving her a gold bracelet,” Ashlynn carried on, recapturing my attention. “Pure class.” Her look got intense as she stared into my eyes. “And he’s trouble.”

I glanced to the door that he’d obviously gone through because he’d disappeared, then back to Ashlynn.

“Trouble?”

Ashlynn didn’t answer that question.

She just shook her head again and declared, “He wouldn’t date a stripper anyway. Like I said. He’s class.”

I felt my mouth get tight.

About Kristen Ashley:

Kristen Ashley was born in Gary, Indiana, USA. She nearly killed her mother and herself making it into the world, seeing as she had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck (already attempting to accessorise and she hadn't taken her first breath!).

Kristen grew up in Brownsburg, Indiana but has lived in Denver, Colorado and the West Country of England. Thus she has been blessed to have friends and family around the globe. Her posse is loopy (to say the least) but loopy is good when you want to write.

Kristen was raised in a house with a large and multi-generational family. They lived on a very small farm in a small town in the heartland and existed amongst the strains of Glenn Miller, The Everly Brothers, REO Speedwagon and Whitesnake (and the wardrobes that matched).

Needless to say, growing up in a house full of music, clothes and love was a good way to grow up.

And as she keeps growing up, it keeps getting better.

Social Media Links:


Review by Yvette:

A new novella from one of my all-time favorite series? Yes, please! I've lost track of the number of times I've re-read the Rock Chick series by Kristen Ashley so to have a new addition to the series is truly a cause for excitement, especially when said novella is about Daisy and Marcus – a couple I've always been curious to learn more about. I loved Rock Chick Awakening before I even started (because: Marcus and Daisy), but my love grew exponentially with every chapter, until my heart just about burst with that epilogue. But I’m getting ahead of myself… What makes Rock Chick Awakening (and all of Kristen Ashley’s books, for that matter) so memorable is the author’s innate ability to tug on my emotions, crushing my heart and picking up the pieces in the span of a few chapters. No other author can make me feel gut-wrenching despair and unbelievable happiness with such a ferocious intensity quite like Kristen Ashley does – a talent which the author puts to good use with Marcus and Daisy’s story.

Did I mention I was excited to finally get Marcus and Daisy’s story? How was it that the buxom, attention-stealing stripper with a heart of gold captured the eye of a fearsome, formidable crime boss? Who wouldn’t want to read that story? Told primarily through Daisy’s perspective, Rock Chick Awakening follows the inception of her and Marcus’s relationship, from the moment they first locked eyes on each other. There’s romance. There’s angst. There’s everything you could possibly want to know about how Marcus became Daisy’s knight in shining armor. Mostly I enjoyed getting the backstory of these characters (Daisy, in particular), and getting to discover how they become who they are in the present time.

While the romance between Marcus and Daisy is the focal point of Rock Chick Awakening, the author does an impeccable job with their character development, taking care to detail all their idiosyncrasies. First, we have Marcus, the quintessential Alpha male, possessive and overprotective, yet unimaginably sweet and caring. Reading the Rock Chick series, I just knew a big ole teddy bear lurked beneath his unflappable, stoic countenance, but to have it confirmed? *cue major swooning* There's an air of self-assuredness about him, which, when combined with a hint of mystery and a touch of danger, makes Marcus an irresistibly compelling character. Equally compelling (if not more so) is Daisy’s character, who happens to be his perfect complement – light and vibrant, where he’s dark and serious. There's something pure and innocent about Daisy who, despite having every reason to view the world through jaded eyes, is a hopeless romantic, desperately yearning for her own happy ending. While I knew where their journey would eventually lead, I relished every bit of new information I learned while reading this novella.

Whether or not you’re familiar with the Rock Chick series, Rock Chick Awakening is a must-read! I will say that as a fan of the series, this novella is all the more riveting and meaningful for already having known and loved these characters. From start to finish, this novella is quite simply perfect. Rock Chick Awakening is an unconventional fairy tale, one with bumps and bruises along the way, culminating in a heart-meltinglty sweet, perfectly satisfying Happily Ever After.

*complimentary copy provided by author for an honest review

Rating: 5 Stars

1 comment: